When goods enter the United States from overseas, it is considered an importation and must be cleared by Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

When a company purchases goods from an overseas supplier, CBP considers them the ultimate importer. The ultimate importer can clear the goods or have a broker clear them on their behalf.


If the overseas supplier ships with an express carrier using a door to door service, the carrier has brokers to clear the goods on behalf of the ultimate importer. If a formal entry is required, CBP regulations require the broker to write the ultimate importer’s identification number EIN on the Entry Summary CBP Form 7501. The ultimate importer’s identification number is either the EIN/tax identification number assigned by the IRS or the importer’s social security number. A formal entry is usually required for commercial importations valued over $2,500.

If the goods are cleared informally, the Entry Summary CBP Form 7501, identification numbers are not required. Goods are cleared informally when they are for personal use, under $2500 in value, and are not in commercial quantities. However, because there are no guarantees an entry will be cleared informally, brokers find it helpful to have the ultimate importer’s identification number just in case.

The paperwork for goods sent by courier asks for an importer EIN number, whether the import qualifies for an informal entry or not. Courier services file CBP entries electronically, and the software system they use requires an identification number to be provided for the recipient of the goods.

More questions about shipping or required docs?
Email back or call 877-887-4472
Visit, and let’s talk!
22,000 Shipments since 2008
Delivered on time GUARANTEED
Latest Videos:
What We Do   How We Do It

2 Responses

  1. My Chinese shipper requires our EIN as you state. However, we have two corporate shipping addresses and this Chinese shipper says they cannot ship to a second address associated with the same EIN. Help requested.

  2. Nolan, good evening

    EIN, or Federal Business Number, used for imports and exports, is the same number used when filing corporate taxes. The principal use for imports is to track back unpaid duties or taxes for collection.

    Your vendor is wrong, but it doesn’t matter. It’s a waste of time arguing with their trade dept. You may be on a list of EINs with associated destination addresses, and they won’t deviate from it.

    My advice is to let them use whatever EIN they have for you. If your broker will be clearing the shipment, get him the shipping docs and pay the applicable duties. The same applies to shipments cleared by express couriers like FedEx. As mentioned, the principal use for the EIN is to track back in case of unpaid duties or taxes.

    If your still having issues or are fed up, we can pick up and reship with new docs. I’m guessing DHL; they have the least restriction when shipping batteries or related.

    I hope this helps.
    Regards, Perry

Leave a Reply

Get Connected


Recent Posts


Protect your business, start today!

Welcome to ShipCustomerDirect

Subscribe. Never miss a deal!

15% coupon off your first blind shipment!